Gulf Bend Center
Veterans Peer Support Specialist
WORKSITE LOCATION: Gulf Bend Regional Plaza, 6502 Nursery Drive, Suite 100, Victoria TX 77904
PAY RANGE: $15.00 – $16.50 FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
SHIFT: Fulltime; Monday thru Friday, 8:00am – 5:00pm, some on-call shifts evenings or weekends
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Service Member or Veteran (Veteran with combat experience strongly desired); a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate issued in accordance with the law of the issuing state. The individual must have at least one cumulative year of receiving mental health services for a disorder that is treated in the target population for Texas and must be under clinical oversight and supervision by manager and LPHA.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree; (Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus)
DEGREE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Completion of a 40-hour Peer Support Specialist Certification training program and successfully pass the Via Hope Peer Specialist Competency Exam.
JOB PURPOSE: This position will assist Veterans to achieve their wants, needs, and goals while promoting and fostering the recovery process by providing peer services, psychosocial rehabilitative services, and skills training services as Certified Peer Support Specialist on the Adult Mental Health Team. Services will be provided in the community and/or clinic and travel will be required within our seven-county service area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
1. Provides peer services, skills training, or psychosocial rehab services to Veterans according to the treatment plan from a recovery-oriented peer support specialist framework in collaboration with the treatment team and clinical oversight and supervision by manager and LPHA.
2. Provides ninety five percent (95%) of services in the individuals’ natural environment.
3. Provides services that meet productivity standards.
4. Links Veterans to appropriate community resources as necessary and describes how the resource has helped them in their own recovery.
5. Provide vision driven hope and encouragement, support people in their recovery, and assist them in connecting to the community.
6. Provides peer services, skills training, or psychosocial rehabilitative services in accordance with Medicaid Rule, HHSC Contract, and TRR Fidelity.
7. Informs Veteran of available service options and choices while promoting the use of natural supports and resources within the community.
8. Provides advocacy for the Veteran.
9. Shares personal recovery experiences and develops authentic peer-to-peer relationships.
10. Support individuals in becoming self-determining through sharing mutual experiences.
11. Offers instruction and support to help people develop the skills they need to facilitate their individual recovery.
12. Understand trauma informed services.
REPORTS TO: Adult Mental Health Services Manager
LEVEL OF SUPERVISION REQUIRED: Clinical oversight and supervision by manager and LPHA
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, and COMPETENCY:
Trauma-informed: A trauma-informed approach to care “realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands potential paths for recovery; recognizes the signs and symptoms of trauma in clients, families, staff, and others involved in the system; and responds by fully integrating knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices, and seeks to actively resist re-traumatization.” The six key principles of a trauma-informed approach include: safety; trustworthiness and transparency; peer support; collaboration and mutuality; empowerment, voice and choice; and cultural, historical and gender issues.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
1. Understands trauma-informed services.
2. Understands the Three E’s of trauma-informed care.
3. Understands the Four R’s of trauma-informed care.
4. Understands the six key principles of trauma-informed care.
1. Exhibits cooperative teamwork with other staff to accomplish the efficient operation of the program by assisting co-workers as necessary and to meet client needs.
2. Models professionalism by appropriate dress, language, ethics, and work habits 100% of the time.
3. Demonstrates an ability to communicate effectively both orally, and in writing 100% of the time.
4. Uses a computer and other technological device (ex. IPad) as required to complete all work assignments.
5. Accomplishes 95% of assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
6. Uses sound judgment in the release of information as evidenced by lack of complaints or consumer rights findings.
7. Completes fleet checklist as required. Reports all fleet problems directly to the program director within 24 hours of identifying the problem.
8. Must have computer experience to include, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must have good organizational skills to achieve multiple deadlines.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS
1. Computer, telephone, VCR, projectors, calculator, computer, fax machine, and copy machine are used in performance of essential job duties.
2. Various forms of paperwork are handled in performance of essential job duties.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS and ENVIRONMENTAL CHECKLIST: Abilities required to perform the essential and marginal tasks of this job: Walking, operating office equipment, standing, operating motor vehicle, light lifting (under 15 lbs), sitting, ability to see, identify colors, depth perception needed, light carrying (under 15 lbs), hearing (with aid), straight pulling, ability to write, ability to count, ability to read, simple grasping, ability to tell time.
Work site and environmental conditions that apply to this job: Travel by car 50% of time, outside, inside, working closely with others, working alone.
CRED/PRIV REQUIRED? Yes DRIVING REQUIRED: Yes
1. Interacts with employees’ contractors, customers, community, family members, referral sources, governmental sponsoring and funding entities, program auditors, advocacy groups, and the media.
2. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
3. Work behavior must be compatible with Center value statement and Policies and Procedures contributing to an environment of problem solving, building trust, conflict resolution, and customer service. Ability to perform tasks effectively and efficiently.
4. Ability to plan and schedule work and implement directives without constant supervision.
5. Ability to present a professional appearance and conduct when representing the Center.
6. Ability to work cooperatively and productively with supervisor, individuals, co-workers, and groups of persons at all levels of activity, contributing to a strong spirit of teamwork.
7. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, other agencies and the general public using tact, courtesy and good judgment.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS OR CONDITIONS:
1. Current State of Texas Driver License or if you live in another state, must be currently licensed in that state. Liability insurance required.
2. Must be insurable by Center’s liability carrier if employee operates a Center vehicle or drives personal car on Center business.
3. Good driving record as defined by Gulf Bend Center.
4. Must complete all CORE training requirements prior to the due date.
5. Must have computer experience to include: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Must have good organizational skills to achieve multiple deadlines. Ability to type 40 wpm.
6. Must maintain regular attendance and reliability which is critical to business operations. This is a fulltime position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm or agreed upon hours 100% of the time, to ensure consistency and completeness of program’s processes. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Gulf Bend Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applied to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit gulfbend.e3applicants.com.